My life is falling apart

Hi everyone. I’m new here. I’ve been a shopping addict for a long time now, but it’s gotten steadily worse. It’s gotten to the point that my husband of almost 29 years is leaving me. He said he can’t take it anymore. He can’t take the stress and the anger and the lies. I understand. I really do. I spend the money and regret it right away. It’s so bad he’s talking about taking his motorcycle, buying a sleeping bag and living on the streets rather than being with me anymore. That or having an accident at work so I can have his life insurance policy through work. He says he’s stayed only because of my cancer and health issues and he was worried about our kids. (The two that live with us are 28 and 16.) But now he’s done and can’t do it anymore.

I don’t know what to do. I can’t lose him. I love him so much and I can’t imagine my life without him. I’m afraid it’s already too late though. He wants me in a group that meets regularly in person or by zoom, and I can’t seem to find one. This is the only shopper’s addiction group I can find that doesn’t require you to have a drug or alcohol abuse problem as well before they’ll help you. I’m still looking though. Maybe if I find one it might make things better. Who knows? I’m open to anything to fix this

Have you had this issue with shopping addiction your whole marriage and it literally came to a head recently? Group therapy is amazing, but we would highly recommend you looking into one on one therapy to begin, yes, we understand it is costly and you are dealing with a spending issue, but as you know, it doesn’t just go away by wishing it away. Online therapy is available, one site is BetterHelp (our members get 10% off their first visit-put in code: themisunderstood). The great thing about online therapy is that is generally cheaper, way more flexible around your schedule and you are able to try out therapists until you find a good fit.

Again, we are glad you are here, welcome.
-SG