Tips on combating loneliness
I found these tips on combating loneliness to be incredibly helpful; therefore, I wanted to share them with you;
- Connect with anyone who you assess to be genuine, and who is around you. Following your instincts about people can be important here. Just because someone is around/near you, doesn't mean they are good (vs. bad)company. Sometimes being alone is better than being in bad company.
- Set up social activities when you're not feeling lonely. Anticipate.
- Read literature and go to museums/theater/dance. Art reaches inside.
- For those with religious beliefs, consider fellowship with those of your faith. Most churches should have some sort of regular fellowship, if your church doesn’t then consider starting one.
- Remember that reaching out to someone else lonelier than you could give you more happiness than you could imagine.
Learn to meditate so that you have the experience of being loved and nurtured emotionally by other sources than human beings.
- Consider getting a pet! Animals can make marvelous companions; they give unconditional love, and can offer you loyal company. Walking a dog can also be a great way of meeting other people!
- Try not to get stuck into a rut with routines; routines allow you to go on auto-pilot, allowing you to day-dream about "what could be." Even worse, you're less likely to act on those day-dreams, because you'll be comfortable with your routines. Shake things up!
Engage yourself in some activity that would keep your mind occupied.
- Remember that loneliness happens to everyone and that there is someone to talk to. Surround yourself with positive people.
- Create a positive mood and atmosphere. Realize that loneliness can be a right time to try out something new, relax or nurture your creativity.After all some of the great personalities spent a lot of time alone.
- "Fake it until you make it". Just do it & deal with the issues that come up. In your exploration you will find the solutions.
- Learn to be happy with yourself. When you like/love who you are it shows. People like to be around upbeat confident people."